Wednesday 16 September 2009

North Cave Wetlands II

I almost forgot about the remaining sightings from our weekend visit to North Cave. The dragonflies were about in good numbers & the small ponds provided great opportunities to observe the insects darting back and forth.

I'd appreciate any feedback on these ID's. This one's definitely a female as the vulvar scale is visible in side profile & I think its a Common Darter.


A male Common Darter (yellow stripes on legs)
Initially I thought these were male Common Hawker, but I think they're more likely Migrant Hawker, due to the yellow triangle on segment two & the reduced antehumeral stripe.



Plenty of Small Tortoiseshell 12+, 6 Speckled Wood along the paths, 5 Large Whites, 1 Small Skipper.



Lots of birds on the lakes & margins, hundreds of noisy & often airborne Lapwing, Curlew, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Pink Footed Geese, Canada Geese, Goldfinch. Little Brown Job also visited the reserve recently, but unlike Paul we somehow managed to come away without any pics of the birds, too much excitement earlier in the day maybe? Anyway its a good excuse for a return visit methinks.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely dragon and butterfly photos! They posed nicely and you captured them beautifully.

    I also loved seeing the deer photos on the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another outstanding collection of dragonfly pictures. I would agree with the common darters. I don't have my dragonfly book to hand as I add this comment but I have found the Drangonfly Society site a real help in identification. Here's the link if you don't already have it:

    http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/species.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...