Monday 12 April 2010

St Chad's Churchyard wander

During my lunchbreak I meandered down to St Chad's Churchyard, Far Headingley. Hoping that I might catch a little more butterfly action it wasn't until I decided to head back that I spotted a Peacock on the ground, it sat for a few seconds before I watched it swirl its way up onto the roof of the church. That's three in the area in last four days, starting with the Comma in the woodland, then the Small Tortoiseshell in the churchyard.

In the grounds of the church there are a couple of beautifully designed interpretative boards detailing the range of habitats and the fauna and flora they support. The boards are a collaborative effort by the Green Team of St Chad's, Leeds City Council and Stephen Huxley, designer.

According to the information boards butterflies that frequent the churchyard include, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell (which I saw on Friday), Holly Blue, Wall, Speckled Wood, Gatekeeper. Although today's Peacock isn't mentioned, I'll take that as a positive and look forward to future treats.
Here's the view from the side of the church looking back towards Beckett Park woodland. Native trees such as Willows and Birch are dotted throughout the churchyard.

At the base of a sunny hedgerow, in dappled shade I spotted three clumps of Common Dog Violet, Viola riviniana.

With the blossom opening and the new buds emerging, this Prunus tree still held last year's fruit.

5 comments:

  1. Lucky you. This part of Yorkshire`s (South) been cold & overcast all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photographs again
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears that churchyards in general are good havens for wildlife. I suppose its because there is limited disturbance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea St Chads had info boards like that, what a good idea. My aunt & uncle got married here before I was born and i've been past so many times but never stopped there. It looks beautiful, you are lucky to have it in walking distance! I work in Headingley centre but don't get the time to go anywhere during the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for stopping by and for taking the time to leave your comments.

    Pam, it is a lovely spot, I am lucky to work nearby Beckett Park woodland & the churchyard. It more than makes up for working in the city centre for a good few years. Do you know it wasn't til this week that I thought about St Chad's as a potential nature spot, how silly is that?
    If you ever did manage to get out for a lunchtime meander & didnt fancy wandering around St Chads on your own then feel free to drop me a line, I'm not too far away as Im based on the uni campus at Beckett Park.

    Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...